Delivering Australia's Energy Future - Release of Jemena Group 2021 Sustainability Report
Monday, 9 May 2022
Jemena has today released its 2021 Sustainability Report - Delivering Australia's Energy Future. The report details the activities and achievements of Jemena and Zinfra (both part of the SGSPAA Group) while providing an overview of the Group's ESG / Sustainability strategy for future years. The report showcases the achievements of the Group in the following areas:
- Safety: throughout 2021 the Group exceeded its annual safety targets and over-achieved its HSE Strategy Target ahead of schedule. The Group also continued to respond to the challenges presented by the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Customer: the Group delivered strong customer satisfaction scores for its electricity network in Melbourne (8.7/10) and its gas network in Sydney and NSW (8.4/10). The Group also achieved a strong Reputation Score of 80.5.
- Diversity and Inclusion: the Group delivered its Reflect Reconciliation Action Plan, launched its Supporting Families Initiative, and was endorsed as an employer of choice for Women through its ongoing partnership with WORK180.
- Corporate Social Responsibility: the Group continued to make a difference to the lives of the people living in the areas where it operates through the Pipeline to Success, Voices for Power, Grants Program, and other programs as part its Corporate Social Responsibility work.
Jemena's Sustainability Journey
Jemena's 2021 Sustainability Report also provides a baseline against which to track its sustainability journey as the Group works towards delivering its net-zero ambition (for Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions) by 2050. While there is still much work to be done, achievements throughout 2021 include:
- implementing a suite of program changes to lower the Group's carbon footprint while delivering operational efficiencies,
- operations commencing at the Group's industry-leading hydrogen trial - the Western Sydney Green Hydrogen Hub, as well as significant progress on the Group's biomethane-to-gas-injection project (the Malabar biomethane project),
- the development of an industry-leading EV grid charging trial - which is currently testing how to maximise EV charging across the Group's electricity network in Melbourne's north-west.
Jemena's 2021 Sustainability Report – Delivering Australia’s Energy Future is available here.