Power Changers trial findings released
Jemena’s demand response trial, Power Changers, saw households reduce their peak electricity consumption by an average of 26 to 35 per cent on hot days, according to findings released this week.
The Jemena Power Changers Trial Evaluation Report shares the positive impact the trial had on participants’ energy use to help relieve pressure on the electricity grid.
More than 600 customers took part in the trial across Jemena Electricity Network areas of Alphington, Craigieburn, Eaglemont, East Ivanhoe, Fairfield and Ivanhoe in the Jemena Electricity Network area from December 2017 to March 2018.
Participants used an interactive app and web portal linked to their smart meter to take part in ‘challenges’ on hot days where they were given a target for their energy consumption along with energy saving tips. Participants who met their target earned points for personal rewards, such as gift cards, or community rewards, such as donations to local schools.
Key findings of the report:
- On average households were able to reduce their peak electricity consumption by between 26 and 35 per cent on hot days.
- Participation in each challenge ranged between 43 per cent and 53 per cent, with higher participation by the group receiving personal rewards.
- Eighty-five per cent of participants expressed a high level of satisfaction with the trial and reported that it:
- motivated them to reduce their electricity usage
- helped them to save money on their electricity bill
- motivated them to be more conscious about conserving electricity.
The trial has received global attention after being announced as an international finalist for the Edison Electric Institute’s 2019 Edison Award and taking out the Best Customer Innovation Award at the Digital Utility Awards held in Melbourne earlier this year.
Jemena will use the findings of the report for further research into customer behaviour and potential future benefits of smart meters. The findings have also been shared with the Victorian Government to inform future energy policy.
View a copy of the report here: Jemena Power Changers Trial Evaluation Report