The former Goulburn Gasworks site is located on Blackshaw Road, Goulburn. The buildings onsite include an office, a workshop and a large landscaped area.
The Goulburn Gas and Coke Company (GGCC) originally operated the site as a gasworks between 1879 and the 1970s. GGCC constructed gasworks infrastructure and commenced the production of gas using coal gasification.
By the 1960s the site included two gasholders, tar wells and associated infrastructure including a retort house. The retort house and one gasholder were demolished in 1967 and 1968 respectively, with gas processing ceasing completely in the 1970s.
In 1979, the Australian Gas Light Company (AGL) acquired GGCC, which subsequently merged into Jemena in 1994. The site is currently owned by Jemena Gas Networks (NSW) Pty Ltd, a subsidiary of Jemena Limited.
The historical gasworks-related operations and waste disposal activities onsite have contaminated the soil and groundwater at the site and of land immediately east of the site. Concentrations of gasworks hydrocarbons, heavy metals, cyanide and ammonia have been identified in groundwater beneath the site. The primary source of the contamination in groundwater is residual tar and soils impacted by tar and other gasworks waste in the vicinity of the former retort house and tar wells.