The site and surrounds
The Newcastle Gasworks site is located adjacent to Clyde Street and Chatham Road in Hamilton North, around 3km north-west of the Newcastle central business district. It is approximately 7.4 hectares in area and is bordered by Clyde Street, Chatham Road, the Main Northern Railway Line, and the Styx Creek concrete-lined channel.
The site was an operational gasworks from 1913 to 1985. In 2006 Jemena acquired the site as part of a wider business transaction.
Jemena is required to remediate contamination which resulted from the historical operation of the site as a gasworks. For more detail on the history of the site and its remediation please click here.