Staying safe during storms and outages
Follow these helpful tips to stay safe during a storm:
- Keep clear of fallen powerlines and keep others away. The powerlines may still be live, so you should call your local electricity distributor (see the "Faults and Emergencies" number on your most recent electricity bill).
- Check your neighbour's house to see if they have also lost power. If your neighbour has power on, then check to see if your safety switch has been tripped.
- Be careful when using candles and other open flames – keep naked flames away from flammable material.
- Make sure appliances are turned off (because they could come back on when you are not there).
- Don't try to connect temporary generators to household wiring.
For more information and important contacts, view the Victorian Government’s guide to power outages webpage.